Ride Updates and News
Run For The Ridge LOCATION UPDATE
RUN FOR THE RIDGE UPDATE: The state DNR officials have put an end to vehicle traffic on the new bridge that connects the Fort Ridgely State Park horse campground to the overflow parking area. Without that extra space, we simply can't expect enough riders to come in order to cover costs. September 21-22, 2018 Friday and Saturday. (Stay till Sunday and relax!!)
WE HAVE A NEW LOCATION:
Spring Creek Motocross Park
298th Avenue, Millville, MN.
This park is 6 miles west of Zumbro Bottoms. I apologize to those riders who are from SW Minnesota, but we tried very hard to find a venue closer to us; there just isn't anything big enough.
1) No, there won't be any motocross bikes there that weekend.
2) CAMPING will cost the same as State Park sites. No reservations, but the camping area is HUGE: 55 electric sites with water spigots, and almost unlimited primitive camping.
a) NO reservation fees, no vehicle permit fees, no trail pass fees.
b) You will need to bring your own horse-containment, or tie to your trailer. there are no hitching rails or hi-ties.
c) There will be water available for the primitive camping sites.
d) Bathrooms on the grounds. One outdoor shower (very visible - bring your bathing suit!), and one indoor shower.
e) If you plan to ride the 75 or the 100, let me know. I will be blocking off a few of the sites closer to the vet area for those riders.
3) TRAILS. Wooded, Hilly, with some flat riding. Not huge climbs, but numerous smaller hills. 2-track trails that are grass or dirt. A few rocks, but nothing as rocky as Zumbro. We will cross a couple of gravel roads, and the vet area is dirt with some gravel, so if you're wondering about shoes, I'd suggest fronts at least. If your horse has really hard feet and is conditioned barefoot, you might be able to get by without shoes. There are several places for crew to meet you.
4) The MILEAGES and the DATE will stay the same. We will be working hard to make this very do-able for everybody. Example: Saturday afternoon's LD will be a 12.5-mile loop on the flat with a couple easy little creek crossings. You'll do that same loop (in the dark) and we'll put out glow-sticks. That will be the same loop that the 100-milers do for their last loop.
5) There is an indoor building for registration and potluck.
6) This should be a SUPER FUN ride!!
7) A big big THANK YOU to Jodi Johannessen and her hubby for setting this up. Wylie knows the trails like the back of his hand, and will be getting them ready for us...a huge undertaking. I'll have more pictures as the trails get cleared.
**If you have reservations for RFTR here at Fort Ridgely, call the state park and ask them for a refund. Call instead of doing it online, and you should be able to also get the reservation fee back. 507-426-7840.
DRAWARAMA Day Added and 50 Mile Ride Notes for Friday
Drawarama has added a third day on Friday and the following document provides details for something new with the 50 mile endurance on Friday
Kettles and Bits Cancelled - 5/3/18
Sadly, Kettles n Bits has been cancelled. We just received notice from the Wisconsin DNR that they are concerned about the 1 to 2 inches of predicted rain coming this evening. They will make a final decision about closing trails on Friday. As ride managers, we feel it would be unfair to alert riders that late. People that have paid for pens in the group site will be contacted soon. We apologize for any inconvenience, but respect the DNR's decision to protect the trails. Hope to see you all on some trail, somewhere, soon. Jon and Katie
Brushy Creek Update
The Brushy Creek ride that was discussed for November of 2018 will not be held. The proximity of AHA Nationals was one of the factors that lead to the decision not to hold the ride.